Nearly two months ago, Samsung finally began pushing out Android 4.4.2 KitKat to Verizon Galaxy S4 with baseband I545VRUFNC5. At that time almost all of the SCH-I545 owner are very excited to install the update on their phone, but there are several users who still have to wait until someone confirm if the root can be obtained again after upgrading to KitKat (NC5). Their concern is realistic, as the superuser is fairly hard to obtain in this smartphone, since the bootloader is locked down.
It looks like the long wait is over, now we can root the Verizon Galaxy S4 running official KitKat (NC5) very quickly by using towelroot app. This app is developed by geohot – a recognized developer from xda, this app makes use of existing Linux vulnerability that exists on any android phone running Android 4.4, it’s escalate user privileges to administrator privileges to gain permanent root without tripping Knox counter (remain 0×0).
Also read: Easy unroot, restore Galaxy S4 back to stock condition.
The official Android 4.4.2 KitKat for VZW Samsung Galaxy S4 contains a fairly significant changes, the most visible changes is the restyled User Interface (UI), which follows the standard KitKat UI. In addition, you will see lots of new features, such as integrated Google Wallet Tap to pay (HCE support), the SMS app chooser, Wireless Printing support and many more. Now, there is no reason for you to postpone the update, as root can be easily obtained.
- Samsung Galaxy S4, Verizon Wireless model (SCH-I545).
- Pick up geohot’s root tools called towelroot, it’s only 100KB of apk file.
- Obtain Chainfire’s SuperSU app, it’s a superuser request management app.
- Since geohot’s app (towelroot) isn’t available on Google Play, please enable Unknown sources option.
Easy one click Verizon Galaxy S4 Android 4.4.2 KitKat root (I545VRUFNC5) with towelroot.
Here’s the step by step on how to get it done.
- Browse your SDcard, then try to find (tr.apk) and click on it to perform the apk installation.
- Head to your phone’s app drawer, find the new installed ‘towelroot’ app, then open it. You’ll only see one button on the app titled ‘make it ra1n’, just hit that.
- Let the app complete its job for few seconds. After root installation completed, now your phone will rebooting.
- However, your Samsung Galaxy S4 isn’t rooted yet. We need to update su binaries, and SuperSU will complete the work for all of us, just run SuperSU app.
- Once su installation accomplished, try to open Titinium Backup and restore your data. Your Verizon Galaxy S4 running KitKat should rooted now.