Although the official Android 4.4.2 update (D80120a) has been released a few months ago to the T-Mobile LG G2, but root access is not yet acquired. Unlike the other variants (Verizon, AT&T or Sprint) that could easily get superuser privileges by using IOroot one click tool, the TMo variants owner must be patient to live without root access for quite a long time or using custom ROM.
The D80120a software update for T-Mobile LG G2 aside from bringing the whole new Android 4.4.2, also provides a new feature – auto brightness, improved user experience, much better battery life. However, once upgraded to the new software via OTA, not every third party apps are fully prepared for the new Android OS (KitKat). This could trigger an extra drain on the battery, this caused by 3rd party apps that are not well prepared for the KitKat. For that reason, make sure to update your installed apps to the latest version.
In case you still run Jelly Bean software and have not decided to upgrade your T-Mobile LG G2 to Android 4.4.2 official KitKat because of root, it seems you should change your decision, since now there is an easy root method that helps us to obtain root on D80120a software. We should thank to a recognized developer from xda – geohot, who released TowelRoot app.
- TMo LG G2 (D801) running official 20a official Android 4.4.2.
- This app isn’t available on Play Store, so you should allow Unknown sources on Settings > Security.
- Grab TowelRoot app by geohot, it’s small only about 100 KB.
- Get the most up-to-date SuperSU app, the towel app needs SuperSU v1.99r4 or newer.
Easy one click root for T-Mobile LG G2 running official KitKat (Android 4.4.2)
Here’s step by step how to get it done, don’t forget to backup.
- Install the downloaded app (tr.apk) on your smartphone.
- Once properly installed now launch it, you’ll a ‘make it ra1n’ button, just click it.
- Wait for a short time (about 15 seconds), once the app successfully gains superuser, your G2 will restart by itself.
- As soon as the turned on, install the most recent SuperSU app by chainfire. An Superuser. apk from flashable SuperSU is recommended.
- Launch the SuperSU app, it will install su binaries which is needed by SuperSU. Your TMo LG G2 runs official KitKat should rooted now, verify it by running Titanium Backup or other root apps.