Samsung finally released the Android 5.0 Lollipop for Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 with G900VVRU1BOA8 software version earlier this month, many shocked that Verizon Wireless releases a new update for this flagship phone, considering that the previous version of software updates with NK2 has just released in mid-December last year, it’s a month and two weeks ago.
This is good news for its users, including the rooted users, since root on Lollipop (OA8) for the Verizon Galaxy S5 Lollipop can be retained before updating via OTA. The new Lollipop firmware gives a new touch to the Samsung TouchWiz, you can expect the brighter look and feel, bold colors, smoother animation inspired by the material design by Google.
To be able to keep the root on the Android 5.0 update for the Verizon Galaxy S5, the first requirement is superuser access, since it’s required to put in the Safestrap recovery. Safestrap is a custom recovery based on TWRP, but only for locked bootloader devices like this phone.
- Superuser privileges, use the towelroot app to get root.
- The updated Safestrap v3.75 recovery with working ROM slot. In case you have been installing the older version of the Safestrap, be sure to follow the procedure to uninstall the app and also the recovery.
- Download the stock Android 5.0 Lollipop ROM (G900VVRU1BOA8) for SM-G900V (Vzw Galaxy S5), then save it on ext-sdcard.
- Get the stock kernel from AO8 firmware.
- A Windows computer and Odin flash tool.
- Retain root on Android 5.0 Lollipop update for Verizon Galaxy S5
Retain root on Android 5.0 Lollipop update for Verizon Galaxy S5
The update procedure isn’t via OTA, but we will directly flash the OA8 firmware to the stock slot via Safestrap.
- Install the Safestrap v3. 75 on the phone, open the app, then install the recovery from there.
- Restart your phone and choose an option to enter Safestrap recovery, and make sure the stock slot is active.
- Tap Backup option, then the backup Data only, but ensure that you save it into an external MicroSD card.
- Still on Safestrap, back to the main menu, choose Wipe and choose tap Advanced Wipe, select every partition except the external SD card.
- Now back to the main menu again, tap Install then find the stock rooted Lollipop in zip format.
- Once done, now back to main menu and then restore the data backup.
- Now turn off the phone by accessing the reboot option.
- Press and hold Vol Down + Home + Power button at the same time.
- Open the Odin3 app from a Windows computer, pick the PDA button and point to the kernel file (G900V_OA8_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5) and flash it. Reboot and experience the rooted official Lollipop on Verizon Galaxy S5.