The root becomes extremely hard to obtain for the Verizon DROID RAZR HD / MAXX HD (XT926), after officially getting official KitKat (Android 4.4.2) update with software version 182.46.10 or 183.46.10. This problem is experienced by those who have devices with locked bootloaders, some people with unlocked bootloader can easily get root back with the help of a custom recovery. Unfortunately, unlocking become nearly impossible to accomplish when your phone’s software has been upgraded.
However, after the ‘towelroot’ kernel exploit was released by geohot – a talented developer from xda, all the problems we’ve stated earlier, including gaining root on DROID RAZR HD or MAXX HD runs official KitKat, can be solved effortlessly and instantly. Actually, geohot made this app for Verizon Galaxy S5, by utilizing of Linux vulnerability that is exists in all the popular devices running Android 4.4 KitKat. After using this app to gain root access, it will allow any app to escalate its privileges to superuser privileges.
Not only root access that we can get with the help towelroot, we can also use it unlock the bootloader on stock KitKat software. This is really good news, since as we said earlier, unlocking the bootloader is very difficult to obtain. Once unlocked we will be able to use a custom recovery, which means more opportunities for flashing custom ROMs or mods.
- Verizon Motorola Droid RAZR HD or MAXX HD running official KitKat Android 4.4.2 update (182.46.10 or 183.46.10).
- Download the towelroot app by geohot, it’s an installable apk file.
- Get the latest SuperSU by Chainfire, make sure to choose v1.99r4 or later, when the SuperSU app in Google Play Store version is outdated, just get the flashable SuperSU.
- Allow Unknown sources in your phone, since we need to install a non-play store app.
Verizon Motorola DROID RAZR HD / MAXX HD Android 4.4.2 KitKat root
Here’s how to do it, don’t forget to perform a backup.
- Find the towelroot app (tr.apk) you’ve saved before, then install it.
- Find a file called ‘towelroot’, as soon as the app launched just tap ‘make it ra1n’ button.
- Now the app will do its job to gain root access, then reboot your phone.
- You’re not fully rooted at the moment, we must install SuperSU apk first. After that, run it and let it setup and update su binaries.
- Once you receive a successful message on SuperSU, it’s means your Verizon Droid RAZR HD / MAXX HD already rooted on official stock KitKat software.
- Get the motopocalypse exploit by djrbliss, you can use the Motopocalypse adb script or installable apk file.
- Run the motopocalypse script or apk, then follow any on-screen commands.
- To check the bootloader status, put your phone into fastboot mode and confirm it says “Device is UNLOCKED. Status Code: 3″.