After updating to ICS via Sony Update Service or Flashtool, you likely will get rid of root access on Xperia Ion. In some versions of the firmware such as 6.1.C.1.105/.107 for at&t (LT28at), without root access you will lose the ability to tethering, and the phone will loaded with lots of carrier bloatware apps.
Some users even recommend to stay on official leak ICS firmware 6.1.E.0.233 Chinese version (LT28h), due to the fact that this firmware come with no carrier bloatware, more smooth and tethering features works well without root access. To root Xperia Ion while running ICS firmware, you can use the new root script developed by Bin4ry from xda.
- Before rooting your device, make sure the phone is running Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) firmware. Especially for those of you who running at&t firmware (6.1.C.1.105), which doesn’t include Backup & Restore app, you have to download the apps here, extract it and install the Backup-Backup-Restore.apk and wizard.apk inside it.
- Enable USB debugging in Settings > Developers options.
- Then download the attached root script on this page, select the latest version.
- Extract zip using 7-zip or WinRAR on your computer.
- Run the script by double-clicking RunMe.bat.
- On the Device Type select Normal by typing “1″ (without quote), then follow the instructions.
- Done. You should see Superuser app installed.