Google wallet is the most popular mobile payment system now, besides it supports all major credit and debit cards, it also received by dozen of merchants in the US. Only a few devices that have been supported by this Google’s mobile payment including the latest smartphone from Samsung – Galaxy S4. However, exclusively for those who have a Sprint model (SPH-L720).
As you may know Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile already has their own mobile payment system called Isis. Unfortunately until now Isis can only be used in Salt Lake City and Austin, and only a few merchants that accept Isis payment. So if you have a U.S. carrier-branded Galaxy S4 other than a Sprint model, then you are not eligible to use Google wallet, since this app will check the phone’s hardware and carrier id before it can be used.
How to make Google Wallet Working on all Galaxy S4 variants (T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T, etc.)
Fortunately there is a developer from xda (joemagistro) who found a way to make Google Wallet working on T-Mobile (SGH-M919) and it also should work on AT&T (SGH-I337), Verizon (SCH-I545), or other carrier-branded phone. The method used is quite long, but it’s worth to try, here’s a guide to do it, tested and reportedly working on U.S. T-Mobile branded device running M919UVUAMDL firmware.
- Make sure you’re running DEODEXED ROMs, most custom ROMs are deodexed, but if you on stock firmware it means you can’t do these mods, since it odexed ROM. Your phone will bootloop if you keep doing these mods on the stock firmware.
- Root and custom recovery (TWRP/CWM) are hardly required, since we want to modify files in system partition and flash the mods. I don’t know why you haven’t rooted yet, but if you want to get the most out of your Galaxy S4, find out more here.
- Get a file manager app that can open system folder such as Root Explorer or ES Explorer. Then open build.prop file located in /system folder, and change some values similar to below:
Alternatively you could also utilize a build.prop editor app, just search it on the play store.
- Get the zip flashable mods (for deodexed ROM only) here and move it into an SD card. Boot into recovery mode then Flash the zip. After flashing successfully, now select Fix permissions menu from the Advanced menu in TWRP/CWM recovery, and ends with a reboot.
- Get the most recent version of Google Wallet from play store.
- Get and install Xposed Framework installer here. Open the app, on framework tab click update and then reboot.
- Get and install Xposed Wallet patcher here, this will patcher will remove the carrier id check from Google Wallet app.
- Open Xposed installer, on modules tab activate the Wallet patcher.
- Reboot and revert your modified build.prop to default.