Generally, Sony Mobile will give you software updates via OTA that can be done directly through our handsets without using a PC, but sometimes they delay to give you an update via OTA with specific reasons, in case software updates are available and can be downloaded you can still install the firmware update without waiting to get it via OTA by using Androxyde’s Flashtool. This tool can update your phone with Sony original firmware images either Gingerbread (2.3), ICS (4.0) or Jelly Bean (4.1). Here are step by step guide how to update / flash our Sony Xperia handsets with Flashtool, these instructions are made for Xperia Ion (LT28at/LT28i) but can also be used for other Xperia phones:
- Download and install the latest version of Androxyde’s Flashtool for Windows here,, this guide uses version 0.9.0.0
- Install device drivers to let Flashtool recognize your device, this driver is installed automatically when you installing the PC Companion software, and in case Flashtools can’t recognize your device you may install ‘Flashtool-drivers.exe’ which is included in the C:\Flashtool\drivers.
- Allow ‘Unknown sources’ by mark the option on the Settings > Application and also ‘USB debugging’ on Settings > Applications > Development.
- Install the Android SDK and configure ADB to run on your PC, unless you don’t know you can follow the guidelines.
- Download Sony original firmware image you desire to flash on your handset, the firmware file typically has .FTF extension with file size over 300 MB, may vary depending on smartphone models. Copy the downloaded file to C:\Flashtool\firmwares.
- Run Flashtool applications, if your PC is running Windows 64 run ‘Flashtool64.exe’ other than that run ‘Flashtool.exe’. Click on lighting button and then select Flashmode.
- On Firmware Selection window, find the original Sony firmware which you want to flash into your handset. Important! You should look to the right, there are several option to choose for (wipe data – cache Wipe – Wipe apps log – Exclude etc.)
- Turn off android phone and then go into download mode, there is little difference on how to enter download mode, for a handset with capacitive buttons (like Xperia Ion and Xperia S) press + hold the volume down key and then plug the USB cable, for handset with a hard button (like Xperia Arc and other ) press + hold back key and then connect USB cable.
- The flashing process should now be running, just wait till completed, your phone will automatically reboot, unless not automatically reboot you should turn it on manually.
To check whether your phone is already installed firmware properly, you can see it in Systems > About.