Root privileges have been achieved on the LG Optimus G Pro, just a few days after the official release date, now our phone is ready to be modified. Just like other Android smartphones, to apply a mod we can make use of a custom recovery (CWM/TWRP), not the stock recovery that has limited features.
Besides installing mods, custom kernels or ROMs, a custom recovery also helpful for making nandroid backups on LGE980, which means you could make a full firmware backup (which contains phone settings, installed apps, etc.) that you might use someday to restore your phone. We should say thanks to reider123 from xda who found a method how to install ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery on the AT&T LG Optimus G Pro (E980).
You should know that this is a 2nd-init recovery, due to the fact that our device’s bootloader is still locked, so when your phone is bricked then the only way to unbrick it by using the LGNPST and a TOT file. The recovery installation process is quite easy, without the help of a computer, you can see detailed guide below:
- Make sure your phone has been rooted before proceeding to the next step, because the recovery installer app requires root privileges to be able to work.
- Get the recovery installer app (gprorecovery.apk) here.
- Move the app to phone storage, and then do the installation.
- Open the app then tap 2nd-init recovery to start the installation process of CWM recovery.
- Once done, tap reboot to recovery if you desire to boot into CWM.
In case you get a bootloop or other problems that make you unable to boot up, the following is a button combination you need to do to get into CWM recovery on Optimus G Pro:
- Turn the phone off.
- Now turn on it by pressing the power button.
- You will see the LG logo bootscreen, just wait for a few seconds.
- When you will see the capacitive buttons light up, quickly press the Home button, this moment is very fast, so you have to be quick.
- If you got the right timing right, you’ll boot into CWM